Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bizarre People Crack Me Up

Having kids--It’s a weird thing. But not in the sense that you are thinking.

I am thinking more about the weird behaviors of those surrounding the people about to have children.

I have noticed several things about pregnant women.

#1 People think that your personal space no longer is yours. They feel as if they can come up to you at any point and start rubbing your stomach. This is extremely awkward.

Sometimes when I see people being awkward? I like to make the situation even more awkward.

For example: I work with a woman who is pregnant right now. So…people come up to her all the time to rub her stomach. Especially working at a school, many of the kids feel like they can touch you whenever they want.

Therefore, when a 15 year old 8th grader walked up to my teacher-pregnant-friend and rubbed her stomach? I decided I was going to rub the 15 year olds stomach. Without her permission.

She hasn’t rubbed my pregnant friend’s stomach again. :)

(Disclaimer: I do have a good relationship with this kid, and so it wasn’t *as* awkward as it could’ve been. But it DID get my point across!)

Anyway.

Back to my list:

#2 People think that they should give you weird unsolicited advice.

My guess is? The pregnant person would ask for your advice if they wanted it.

And my personal favorite…

#3 People decide to tell pregnant women their HORROR birth stories. Like: “Do you know that when I was in labor, I was in labor for 57 days and at the end I birthed a unicorn zombie child who looked like a troll??”

Pregnant Lady: “Uhhh…Ok?”

So, you might be wondering why I am talking about all of this ‘other-people-weird-behavior-when-someone-is-having-kids’ topic.

Because people are just as weird to you when you are adopting.

Case in point:

The other day I was sharing with someone that my husband and I really felt called to adopt and that we were moving forward with the process.

Do you know their response?

“Oh my goodness! Are you SURE you want to do that? I had a friend who adopted, and when their kids grew up, they MURDERED their adopted parents!!”

How am I supposed to respond to that?

“Um. Thanks? I’m pretty sure that only happens to about 0.0000037% if the adopted population. But thanks for the positive and uplifting story??”

People are bizarre.

For real.


StatCounter