Monday, September 6, 2010

Manna Monday

(Want to read other Manna Mondays? Click the link at the bottom of this post that says 'manna monday' and it will take you to the others.)


How do you take off the ‘old man’ and put on the ‘new’?

Think about it.

Habits die hard. Very hard.

And all those things that you think make you, ‘you’, can sometimes be things that shouldn’t make you, ‘you’.

A.K.A. The ‘you’ that you’ve become is not that great.

Ouch.

Sometimes I think about who I am. My ‘old man’. It is self-centered and consumed with M.E.

Reading Ephesians 4:28-30 has revealed several things that I really need to work on.

1. Give GENEROUSLY to others in need.

2. Let EVERYTHING you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

3. And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as His own.

Oh man.

My old nature is still VERY much there.

1. Yes, I have chosen a career path where I can give generously to others with my time and efforts. And yes, this is good, but I want to say ‘blah blah blah’ to myself.

How much do I hold on selfishly to my own possessions?

For example, if I was walking by someone who needed my coat, would I give it to them? If I had the choice between giving someone the best food available while I chose something lesser, would I do it?

Hmmm… Do I even want to answer that question?

2.Is EVERYTHING I say good and helpful??

Wow. I think you would just have to interview my husband to find out that I often allow words to slip my mouth that are nowhere near an encouragement to him or others.

And what about if you talked to my friends? Do I spend more time whining than I do speaking positively???

3.I have addressed this issue before in other Manna Monday’s, but I carry the name of Christ! As such, am I living in a way that brings the Holy Spirit joy or grievance?

People, you are going to have to pray for me.

Just reading through Scripture in this way lets me see how much of my ‘old self’ permeates my daily life.

Shame.


StatCounter